MS dementia: converting the sceptical

Convincing the sceptical that MS is a dementia was easier than I expected. #MSBlog #MSResearch

"The following is my presentation that I presented at a small lunchtime satellite symposium yesterday. I was asked to define the window of opportunity to treat MS and used my dementia campaign to get attendees to sit up and take notice. At the opening of the session not one person agreed with me. However, by the end of the session I had convinced the vast majority of the audience that MS is a dementia; thankfully a preventable dementia."

"These slides are self-explanatory and take you through some of the criteria we use to define a dementia. Please note the stereotype of someone with Alzheimer's disease, i.e the little old lady in a care home unable to recognise her family, does not apply to MS. The dementia in MS is more subtle, but is still devastating to the individual, their family and society. At present we don't have a treatment for MS dementia, but early effective treatment should delay and hopefully prevent it from occurring."


Labels: , ,